Activities tailored for each family
We believe that children should be tailored to and as such specific programs are designed for them depending on their ages and interests. There is a whole range of family safari activities available, including game drives, nature walks to learn to identify animal spoor and droppings, birding for beginners and learning to use spotlights at night, snorkelling and sailing.
- Nkwali & Luangwa River Camps
A host of activities are available to keep the whole family entertained. Activities are tailored to suit specific ages of children; includes games, cookie baking, nature walks, village tours, game drives and much more.
- Tena Tena and Nsefu Camps
These two properties located within the National Park are ideal for your older children. They will be able to enjoy game drives and possibly safari walks (dependent on age) within the Park.
The safari houses are an ideal place to stay as the privacy they afford means your family can be totally relaxed and feel at home.
- Robin's House
With no age restriction, this is the perfect option for families especially those with younger children. Here you’ll find a wide range of children's books and games available including puzzles, cards, swing ball, paints and a sandpit. The pool is most welcome to cool off after a safari.
- Luangwa Safari House
If the group is more than five then the Luangwa Safari House, with eight beds is also available.
Luangwa House won the Best Safari House Award in Africa for the second year (Best Safari Guide).
Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Mkulumadzi is the ideal destination for your family holiday, having no age restriction and plenty of family friendly activities on offer. Located on the Shire & Mkulumadzi Rivers, it is the perfect spot for children to explore the natural beauty of Malawi and learn about the local fauna and flora. The large rock-edged swimming pool is a great spot for children to spend a few hours playing and cooling off in the heat of the day.
Combining with Pumulani, at Lake Malawi, your family can choose between relaxed holidays or as active as you wish. Our remote beach setting is ideal for those who simply want to soak up the sun and swim in the clear blue waters of the lake – but we also provide an exciting range of family activities.
We have our own wooden dhow, a traditional African sailing boat that we use for sunset cruises – a perfect way to end your day. Lake Malawi also boasts some of the most delightful snorkelling and diving in Africa, plus great opportunities for bird watching.
Some of the hildren’s activities and services we offer:
- Child minding during the day and in the evening
- Special meal times and food appropriate to the age of the children
- Nature walks to collect pods, seeds and feathers
- Visits to the camp kitchen, helping the chefs make cakes, biscuits
- Paper and greeting card making
- Painting and drawing
- Face painting
- Swimming games and races
- Visits to Kawaza Village and Chimpembele Wildlife Education centre (South Luangwa only)
- Robin’s House - children of any age are welcome
- Nkwali Camp, Luangwa River Camp and Luangwa Safari House - 7 years and over
- Tena and Nsefu Camps - 12 years and over
- Mkulumadzi – no age restriction
- Pumulani - 7 years and over in the peak season
Some hints to make your family safari the best:
- Take a couple of magic tricks to have fun with the staff, or anyone you meet in the local community
- a back pack for each child with their choice of games, colouring books, toys, story CD's / tapes
- a notebook for each child to write down the game they see
- ballpoint pens if visiting schools
- a cheap pair of binoculars for each child
- easy reference child friendly colour photo bird & mammal books
And … try the sun block, malarial pills on children before you go, to see if they react against them.
To find out more about this itinerary, contact us.